BMW BOARD MEETING MINUTES 1/18/2021
PRESENT: Dave DeCook, David Koppenaal, Phil Schaap, Bill Wolf, Lisa Mc Gee
via Zoom: Steve Pothoven, Vicki Kramer
Prayer & Devotions: (Bill Wolf) The theme of the devotions was God’s promise to Abraham beginning in Genesis 12. The promise was to all families of the earth as seen in the OT, Mary’s Magnificat, and to all the heirs of Abraham by faith. We claim this promise for our ministry, for the people of Bangladesh.
Dave K. moved to approve last meetings minutes and Phil S. 2nd. Approved.
TREASURER’S REPORT: (See spreadsheet) Steve went over the spreadsheet of which we all had copies, noting that we had some very generous donations at the end of the year.
In addition to his handout he added:
We opened the account with Edward Jones because we received a gift of stock and we needed an account so we could liquidate the stock.
When a payment was misplaced by a Bangali bank last spring, we replaced this money by sending 2 payments of no more that 15,000 each. This is to avoid attracting attention. We will be caught up as of this month.
We still have the PPP loan. Steve will apply for “forgiveness” by the end of this month.
We began the year behind that of 2019 giving, but we ended with a 17% increase over last year, 2019.
Dave DeCook moved to approve the Treasurer’s report. Dave K 2nd it. Approved.
DIRECTOR’S REPORT: (see handout)
Dave DeCook stated he will work with Bill Wolf as Development Director and that Bill will not be accepting a salary at the present. He is excited because they have worked together for a long time, share goals, and they know our supporters and other contacts. Dave is happy to have someone help him with his vast responsibilities.
He is excited about taking care of and developing a donor base.
He is also excited about the Development Committee. Lisa is experienced and energetic. She will be refreshing our look and bringing consistency throughout our publications creating a ‘brand’.
The Bangladesh trip is being planned. Dave DeCook, Thomas Roy, Bill and Jayne Wolf will be going. They will be leaving April 4th or 5th. The plan is to have 3 graduation weekends, April 9, April 16 and April 23. The staff would like a retreat to share, pray, hike, and develop friendships. We desire to pour into the staff and their families. After 2 weeks of graduations & staff camps, Thomas & Dave D. will teach OT survey using Bible Training Centre for Pastors (BTCP). This will be done on the property living in tents.
Delwar’s resignation on January 4th. There were some misunderstandings between Delwar and Satish. Matthew advised that we allow some time to pass and let the situation cool down and become more peaceful before a final decision is made. Matthew is sending Sanjoy to that area who has 15 yrs of pastoral experience. Satish is moving to the NW section, which is where he has wanted to be. The NE is now missing an area coordinator.
Dave will put together a map/chart of who is ministering where. [This was included in the recent Prayer Force update packet]
Back to the trip: Dave D. stated that we need to approve the money for the tickets and other trip expenses.
The tickets are less than $1,100 from GR. The board suggested that they get tickets that allow for a refund considering the pandemic situation, even if they cost a little more.
The board unanimously approved the money for the trip.
DEVELOPMENT/EVENT COMMITTEE: Bill Wolf & Lisa McGee
1. Set Goals: Bill passed out a ‘score card’ to develop accountability. Each board member will set a few goals. Bill will talk with each member about these.
2. Thank You Notes: Bill wanted to make sure we properly thanked our generous donors from November and December. Each board member will write about 6 thank you notes. Dave D. will send us some statistics to include which should encourage our donors. Dave D also requested that we take a picture of each TY and send it to him. He keeps a record of all communications with each donor
1. We have decided to do two events this year.
a. A Taste of Bangladesh will be August 21 from 5-10 pm at Johnson’s Park.
Let her know if you have ideas. What went well? What should we add? What did not go well? What should be modified?
b. Anniversary Dinner: November 6 is my first choice. (Nov. 13, Dec 4 & Dec 11 are also options.) These are all Saturday nights. A discussion began because we have had the dinners on Tuesday or Thursday in previous years. (Maybe this was to avoid Christmas Concerts in the churches we used.) Lisa explained the one advantage of having it on a Saturday (not a work night) is it will be easier to get volunteers. Dave K. added that more people will be able to attend as well.
It was suggested that it should be held earlier in the evening so clean up can be done and completed at a reasonable time. We will need to be very respectful/responsible so the church can function the next morning without any problems.
Dave D. will give Lisa some possible churches that would donate their space.
Bill added that we need to make sure and have plenty of people on the event team.
Also there are some things that everyone can do such as cleaning up. Lisa agreed that we need volunteer management and that we all need to ‘shoulder’ our parts.
Bill stated that with having 2 events, we do not want donor fatique. We do want to engage our supporters, share the vision, and hopefully they will want to join in fulfilling God’s plan. Bill and Dave will determine the presentation/fundraising component
2. Future Events
a. Concert or even Walk-a-thon (to replace Golf/Walk/Run) We will continue to consider this in the future. A concert can broaden awareness and build a bigger support base. It can create excitement and be fun for current supporters. We might think about tagging on a VIP dinner or dessert….. buying a VIP experience which includes preferred seating and even a meet & greet. It would be good to find an underwriter as there is quite a bit of money involved. + $20,000 for Natalie Grant and +$10,000 for Selah.
3. Any questions? Dave K brought up awareness. Maranatha Christ Conference: Summer Guest…..Each week a mission group is highlighted. Dave D will get on the schedule for next summer.
Promotional (Marketing) Assets
1. Why update our materials?
a. Communication Tool: message should be clear, compelling, & easy to digest
all should look/feel consistent
b. Credibility: a professional look helps
Laura is a graphic designer. She is familiar with our ministry.
a. Laura is willing to work for $30/hr (companys spend up to $200/hr)
b. Lisa will pay for Laura (Phase 1 assets), but we need to make sure to budget
printing new materials and the development of the new website
3. Priority of Communication Projects
a. Phase 1 (P1) includes:
i. General Brochure
ii. Project Everest Brochure
iii. Printed Newsletter
v. District Map Infographic
vi. Note Cards
vii. Response Cards
ix. Website graphics (Website build to be paid for by BMW)
b. Phase 2 is the Website Build
4. Artistic Direction
a. We have 2 logos, one on literature(old) and one on website. We need to have
just one. [Discussion about the logos, a number of members were not aware of
the website logo.] Old has the color & other aspects of flag. Website has vibrant
colors indicative of the culture.
b. The logo will determine the color palette.
5. Photo Release Forms
a. Photo Release Form (same for video). [In the weeks that followed this meeting,
it was decided that we would not get photo release forms as advised by Joe
DeCook and others in Bangladesh.]
a. If you want to be involved in seeing materials, let Lisa know.
b. Lisa will take charge so we will have quick turn-arounds
c. Everything should be completed before ATOB, hopefully much sooner. The
plan is to keep things moving and few revisions. This also depends on Lisa’s
On Dec. 7 & 8 Vicki came to Grand Rapids to work on the website.
Dave K came in on Monday(7th) and we went over the layout and wording of the new website. We found photos that captured relevant aspects of BMW.
Dave DeCook, Vicki and Zach met that evening. Zach had a program that showed
what it would look like on a phone to give us ideas of what we could & could not do. He said we need to keep it to 4 headings.
On Tuesday, Dave D., and Vicki continued to tweak the layout and find appropriate photos.
Dave K will take over connecting with Zach.
A. Selection of officers:
Vice President- Phil Schaap
Treasurer- Steve Pothoven
Other recommendations? None at this time.
Dave D.: motion to approve Lisa M: 2nd …..Approved.
*Note: Bill Wolf is still on the board.
B. Committee assignments and chairs
Bill and Dave K will work on this.
Phil asked for this information to be written.
We need to go outside of the board to fill spots on the committees.
C. Organization Name Change (with state)…we will table this until next meeting
A. Bangladesh trip & ticket purchase. Approved as stated in Director’s Report notes.
B. Budget adjustments:
1. Matthew needs an extra $100/mo because he is now paying rent for living space instead of living in the ‘training center’. Bill Wolf is foregoing his salary for at least January & moved that we shift that money ($1200) to BCT for Matthew.
2. $2-3000 for new graphics materials will be covered by a kind gift from Lisa so there is no impact on our current budget.
Dave D. moved to approve Dave K: 2nd Approved.
Next meeting: March 15th at 4:00 pm Devotions by Phil S.
Take William Carey Books if you want then return
Bill Wolf closed with prayer.